- Common Long term Care Misconceptions :
- Medicare will pay for any long-term costs I may have.
- Medicaid is a program only for “poor” people.
- To qualify for Medicaid, I will have to give up my home.
- If my spouse enters a nursing home, all of our joint savings will have to be spent on his/her care.
- If I give money to my children, I will be ineligible for Medicaid benefits for 60 months.
- The nursing home will help me apply for Medicaid.
- Legally I can only give away $14,000 to each of my children each year.
- I can wait to do long-term care planning until my spouse or I get sick.
The Attorney’s at Bourget Law Group offer comprehensive services to assess your needs and develop a plan that fits your situation. There are many planning opportunities available including last minute steps that can be taken to reduce costs and avoid a medicaid spend down of your assets. We will assist you in taking advantage of the protection offered under Medicaid regulations intended to prevent spousal impoverishment and protect disabled family members as well as caretaker children.